Employee FAQs - Purchase of Military Time

Important note: Information contained in these frequently-asked questions and answers is general in nature. In case of any conflict, the actual contract language between the employing municipality and PMRS along with PMRS law will prevail. Also, existing regulations, policies and procedures will apply in all cases.


Can I "buy back" military time?

Yes. Send PMRS a written request indicating the amount of military time to be purchased along with a copy of your military discharge form (federal form DD-214, Armed Forces of the United States Report of Transfer or Discharge). PMRS staff will determine if the time spent in the military is purchasable service and will provide you with a statement detailing the different payment amounts over various time periods.